T H E
"(In the begining) mankind were one nation, (then they started to dispute), so Allah raised Prophets amongst them, as bearers of good news and as warners; and He revealed therewith the Scriptures, with the truth that it (the message of truth) might judge people's differences. And those who differed were the very people to whom the Scriptures were given concerning it. They differed only because of hatred of one another, even after clear proofs had come to them. So Allah, by His Will, guided those who believed in the truth about what they differed. And Allah guides whom He pleases to a
[The Qur'an, Surah 2:113]
"O you who believe, stand firmly for justice, as witnesses before Allah, even if it be against yourselves, or your parents or your (close) relatives, and whether (it be against) rich or poor. God can best protect both. Do not follow the desires of your hearts, lest you swerve (from the truth) and if you distort your testimony or decline to do justice, verily Allah is fully aware of all that you do."
[The Qur'an, Surah 4:135]
Islam is a perfect religion which provides solution to every problem and answer to every question. As the word 'Islam' means 'peace', it is effectively the religion of every human who likes peace. Peace within a human being, peace of mind, peace at home, peace in the society, and peace in the world. In other words Islam is a way of achieving peace by submitting to the Will of God.
Peace loving people welcomed and accepted Islam throughout the ages since the birth of Adam (peace be upon him). The modern laws of Islam were revealed from God (Allah) to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) by Angel Gabriel some 1420 years ago. People who like peace, equality, and honesty in the society always welcome Islam. The only people reject this message of peace from their Creator are the wrong-doers and mischief makers.
Today, more than one billion people around the globe practice Islam, not only as their religion, but also their way of life. One-fifth of the world population from all races, every origin and nationalities regardless of their athnicity, culture or language follow Islamic teachings. In America, an estimated 130,000 people are converting to Islam every year.
Blessed are those who accept Islam and become the folowers of a natural way of life. Allah's has given human beings will-power and ability to think and differeciate between wrong and right, and His message is very clear about it:
"This is the path of your Lord, a straight way. Indeed, We have detailed our Revelations for the people who think. For them is abode of peace with their Lord; He will be their protecting friend because of their good deeds." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah 6:126-127]
Why People Embrace Islam?
People are converting to Islam for a number of reasons: mostly personal reasons, while others become Muslims also on the basis of cultural, social and spiritual characteristics of Islam. The followings are some key aspects that
mainly draw many people, particularly Christians and Jews to Islamic Faith:
- Conversion to Islam is relatively simple, involving only Shahada, the
declaration of Faith: There is no God except Allah; Muhammad is Allah's Final Messenger. People find it much easier than a lengthy process of
religious education and series of formal rituals.
- Islamic supreme authority is the Holy Qur'an - the speech of God. It is brief and to the point, yet holds detail of every subject related to the daily life on earth and beyond. Arabic being ever popular language, with translations available in most modern languages around the globe, the Qur'an is easy to read and straightforward to understand therefore, new comers find it simple to comprehend.
- Islam's Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) holds a paramount position in Islamic Faith. Yet he is not considered as a god, his place in Islam is rather of a man, a Messenger and a Servant of God. As a person, Muhammad was an incredible man, and people see in him a perfect example to follow.
- Islam is monotheistic religion. It calls upon people to believe in one True God only. People are told in the Qur'an:
"Say: He is Allah, He is One; The Self-Sufficient,
The Eternal God; He begets not, nor was He begotten; There is none equal to Him." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah 112:1-4]
- The significance of Jesus for Muslims as a human and important place in Islam as a prophet of God rather than as a divine figure appeals to those who
find the Christian concept of the Trinity too confusing to
understand or too difficult to believe in.
- Islam's basic beliefs are
relatively straightforward and easy to understand as well as to perform,
compared with other religions fundamental precepts. For example the Five Pillars of Islam: Shahada, Obligatory Prayers, Fasting in the Month of Ramdan, Paying Zakat (Charity) to the poor and travelling to Makkah to Perform the Hajj; even the younger followers can comprehend them without any hardship or confusion.
- Islam is the faith of equality and justice for all. God says in the Holy Qur'an: "O you who believe, stand firmly for justice, as witnesses before Allah, even if it be against yourselves, or your parents or your (close) relatives, and whether (it be against) rich or poor. God can best protect both. Do not follow the desires of your hearts, lest you swerve (from the truth) and if you distort your testimony or decline to do justice, verily Allah is fully aware of all that you do." [The Qur'an, Surah 4:135]
- Islam's great civilization and rich history certainly has an
attractive and intellectual appeal for many people. Converting to Islam means they also become part of the Muslim Ummah (nation).
- Islam's emphasis on the importance of family life and
social value is one of the key aspects that attract men and women from various cultural backgrounds, particularly those serious in true and traditional family values and moral teachings.
- Islam is not only a religion but also a complete way of life, where everything is detailed in the Qur'an very clearly, and further explaination is available through the Hadith and Sunnah (sayings, teachings and actions) of Prophet Muhammad's (peace be upon him).
- Many of the
prophets and stories found in the Bible such as the creation of Adam and
Eve, the story of Noah and the flood, the events in the life of Abraham and his sons, the Psalms of David and the kingdom of Solomon, the Exodus of Israelites from Egypt led by Moses, Jesus preaching the Injeel (Good News) to the world - are present in
the Quran as well. Christians and Jews who convert to Islam often comment
they are attracted to the faith partly because of its
similarities to Christianity and Judaism in general.